The selected candidate will be responsible for supporting the micro-assembly of optical components used in a variety of medical, spectroscopy and telecom applications. You will be expected to improve yields, efficiency and cost through process and design improvements. Utilizing SPC, DFM and Lean Six Sigma you will help to stabilize and refine our processes, improve work flow and transition new products to production. The candidate will assess and recommend equipment and tooling improvements to reduce cost and cycle time.
Responsible for the direction and daily management of all manufacturing engineering efforts and planning for Axsun assembly operations.
- Micro-assembly or optical module manufacturing processes. Familiarity with “best practice” in developing processes.
- Identifies success-limiting manufacturing issues, forms and leads teams positively impacting manufacturing and overarching processes.
- Defines issues impacting cycle time. Develops, implements and monitors solutions for addressing the solutions to issues.
- Generates and monitors process controls for assembly operations
- FMEA and root cause analysis.
- Define focus areas for cross functional teams and drives the implementation of product/material/process improvements related to assembly operations.
- Assists in design of new products, contributing a strong DFM perspective.
- Assists in design and implementation of new technology including new approaches to tooling, fixturing and processes.
- Proactively address issues in order to prevent the need for corrective actions.
Bachelor’s degree in ME, IE, OE, or other relevant field. Emphasis on materials science, process engineering and mechanical engineering preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of 6-8 years of experience in manufacturing engineering, high and low volume production lines, preferably in the field of optical module assembly.
- Working knowledge of SPC, Lean, DFM and DOE’s
- Experience with assembly automation, selecting and qualifying epoxies and coatings
- Demonstrated experience transitioning products from development to volume production
- Experience with Die Bonders, Wire Bonders and Micro-positioning equipment
- Experience selecting and qualifying epoxies and coating materials
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Expertise with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio) to analyze data, create schedules, presentations, graphs and charts.
- Programming experience in machine or test automation preferred.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and interpersonal skills working in a cross-functional, regulated environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with persons at all levels of the organization.
- Strong attention to details.
- Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Meets commitments
- May require sporadic to travel to vendor sites